HOW TO SELL THE CORRECT FIBER CABLESelling a fiber optic cable opportunity may be a challenge, but it can be rewarding. Fiber cables are often part of large infrastructure upgrades, building projects, or technology roll-outs that can provide ample opportunities for smart and committed salespeople to provide customers with lots of value during throughout the selling process.
In order to sell fiber, it is critical to understand the needs of your customer. The best way to do this is through good questions. Asking the right kinds of questions will not only find the right fit in terms of the fiber product itself, but it also helps to uncover other sales opportunities that may not be at the surface. For instance, a customer looking for one piece of custom fiber may also have a need for fiber patch cords, patch panels, wall plates, couplers, and even copper network cables. The key is that without asking questions, those opportunities will never be known. Here are some examples of good, broad questions to begin asking about fiber opportunities:
- Can you describe this project? What phase is it currently in?
- Who is making the specifying decision(s)?
- Where are the fiber cables going?
- How much of this opportunity is patch cords, how much is custom fiber?
- When does the fiber need to be installed?
- Does the fiber have any country of origin requirements?
As you begin to hone in on the answers to some of these questions, you can get a good feel for the opportunity, and if your customer is able to, he or she may provide you with specific details about exactly what is needed. In many cases, customers like to talk about what they do! Actively listening shows that you are more than just an approved vendor-you are moving towards a strategic consultant and a trusted partner. As you agree on details, you can drill in with specific questions around product and delivery details. For patch cords, the questions are fairly simple:
- What type/speed of fiber do you need (single mode, multimode OM1, OM2, OM3, etc.)?
- What kind of jacket rating do you need (PVC, plenum, LSZH)?
- Do you need simplex, or duplex?
- What kind of connector options do you need (LC, SC, ST, etc.)?
- Do you need Corning patch cords?
- Do you have any special polish needs (APC, UPC, etc.)?
Custom fiber assemblies may have some more complex and detailed questions. Use the questionnaire on our website or ask these questions:
- How many fibers?
- Will it be indoor or outdoor?
- What kind of jacket rating do you need?
- Does the cable need to be buried?
- Will the cable be hung from a pole or a supporting wire?
- Do you need the cable to be connectorized, at one or both ends?
- Do you need a pulling eye?
- When do you need delivery?
At this point, you should have a good idea of exactly what the customer is dealing with, and should feel confident in your ability to provide the correct fiber optic cabling solution. As in any sales situation, the key to closing the sale is listening to the customer's unresolved needs, asking the right questions, and then matching your capability to meet those needs.
This white paper is for informational purposes only and is subject to change without notice. C2G makes no guarantees, either expressed or implied, concerning the accuracy, completeness or reliability of the information found in this document.